Who we are
simplabs is a growing engineering consultancy based in Munich. We are a community of engineers who have effective relationships with many international clients. We develop custom solutions using modern technologies, help clients develop their products, and offer mentoring and workshops for both client employees and the tech community at large. Our clients range from small local and international startups to enterprises.
We focus on web engineering with Ember.js, Elixir/Phoenix and Ruby on Rails and are consistently involved in these open-source communities. Events we're organizing include Rails Girls Munich, the Elixir User Group Munich and DublinJS among others. We also want to ensure that our workshops and other events organized by us are accessible to a wide part of the tech community by ensuring these events are free or by providing diversity sponsorships for people who are underrepresented in tech.
We support team members to attend and participate in conferences and other IT events and we mentor and encourage interested engineers to present at events themselves. We believe that development of technical and interpersonal skills is important to our team members, and we're therefore committed in providing growth opportunities which include paid time to work on open source projects, attend trainings and participate in mentorships and more.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a wider outlook of our team, that not only improves our working atmosphere but also increases our productivity as a company. We are committed to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it. We value quality of life and keep working times flexible to accommodate personal commitments like parenting, sports, hobbies and personal projects.
- helping clients with their projects as well as supporting our open source projects
- sensitivity to clients' needs and building trust, reviewing the work of others or discussing implementation options in a collaborative fashion
- sharing your learnings made on client and open-source projects with the community through blog posts
- participating in open source projects and community; big plus if you like giving talks or would like to start doing it, we'll give you all necessary support in any related engagements
We expect the following skills:
- collaborating well in a team environment
- attention to detail by writing tested code
If you have experience with any of the following, we'd consider those a bonus (but not require them for a successful application)
- any experience in product management, including sprint planning in collaboration with a product team / product owners is a plus
- previous experience with server-side frameworks (e.g. Rails, Express among others) is a plus
- previous experience working on an Ember open-source project is a plus
How we work
We're a team of open-minded developers who value collaboration, empathetic working relationships and well-crafted code. Beyond a supportive team culture and a relaxed work atmosphere in our office in the Munich city center (we're actually right next to the Isar!) for on-site engineers, we enable you to take part in modern projects for clients ranging from small startups to big enterprises, national as well as international. We work closely with our clients and usually join a shared Slack channel with their teams for easy communication. You'll have responsibility early on and have the opportunity to both guide the development of these client projects as well as grow your own technical and interpersonal skill set.
We also offer the opportunity to travel internationally - either to visit clients on-site for a limited time or to attend tech conferences.
We start the day with our standup meeting in which everyone gives an update on what they worked on the previous day and what they plan to do on the current day. Apart from that we're pretty lean and don't have a lot of process. We practice a feature branch based workflow with continuous testing and peer reviews.
Apart from working on client projects we also maintain a variety of open source libraries and tools on which you're invited to work on as well.
What we offer
- self-guided work on interesting projects for international clients
- competitive salary
- 30 days of paid vacation
- flexible working times to accommodate commitments besides work
- time to work on open source projects
- personal support to deepen your knowledge in topics that you feel are close to you
- chance and support to attend and speak at international conferences
- a flat organization with little process standing in your way
- regular company events to meet your team members
- an international, communicative and supportive team
- flexible work environment (either on-site in Munich or remote)
- paid office space for remote engineers in a co-working space or office of your choice
- the latest MacBook Pro (or the previous one if you don't want the TouchBar) plus an external 4K display
If you're interested to learn more about us or apply to this position, send us a message to [email protected]. We're looking forward to a link to your Github account if you have one or any other samples of your previous work.