Who we are
simplabs is a small and growing Engineering Consultancy based in Munich. We are a community of engineers who have effective relationships with many international clients. We develop custom solutions using modern technologies for our clients, help clients in developing their products and also mentoring and workshops. Our clients range from small local and international startups to enterprises.
We focus on Web Engineering with Ember.js, Elixir/Phoenix and Ruby on Rails and are consistently involved in these open-source communities. Events we're organizing include Rails Girls Munich, the Elixir User Group Munich among others. We also want to ensure that our workshops and other events organized by us are accessible to a wide part of the tech community by ensuring these events are free or by providing diversity sponsorships for people who are yet underrepresented in tech.
We support team members to attend and participate in conferences and other IT events and we mentor and encourage interested engineers to present at events themselves. We believe that development of technical and interpersonal skills is important to our team members, and we're therefore committed in providing growth opportunities which include paid time to work on open source projects, attend trainings and participate in mentorships and more.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a wider outlook of our team that not only improves our working atmosphere but also increases our productivity as a company. We are committed to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
- you will help clients with their projects as well as support our open source projects
- you're sensitive to clients' needs and you're creating trusting work relationships by reviewing code or discussing implementation options in a collaborative fashion
- sharing your learnings made on client and open-source projects with the community through blog posts
- we're committed to our participation in the open source community and give talks, attend conferences, host meetups etc. If you enjoy doing that as well that's great and we'll make sure to support you in any related engagements
- collaborating well in a team environment
- showing attention to detail by writing tested code
Bonus skills (but not required for a successful application)
- any experience in product management, including sprint planning in collaboration with a product team / product owners is a plus
- previous experience with server-side frameworks (e.g. Rails, Express among others) is a plus
- previous experience working on an Ember open-source project is a plus
How we work
We're a team of open-minded developers who value collaboration, empathetic working relationships and well-crafted code. Beyond a supportive team culture and a relaxed work atmosphere in our office in the city center (we're actually right next to the Isar!) for on-site engineers, we enable you to take part in modern projects for clients ranging from small startups to big enterprises, national as well as international. We work closely with our clients and usually join a shared Slack channel with their teams for easy communication. You'll have responsibility early on and have the opportunity to both guide the development of these client projects as well as grow your own technical and interpersonal skill set.
We also offer the opportunity to travel internationally - either to visit clients on-site for a limited time or to attend tech conferences (if you enjoy speaking or you're interested to do so that's awesome! We'll support you in finding mentoring support either through one of our experienced team members or any other external support that you find useful).
We start the day with our standup meeting in which everyone gives an update on what they worked on the previous day and what they plan to do on the current day. Apart from that we're pretty lean and don't have a lot of process. We practice a feature branch based workflow with continuous testing and peer reviews.
Apart from working on client projects we also maintain a bunch of open source libraries and tools on which you're invited to work on as well.
What we offer
- self-guided work on interesting projects for international clients
- competitive salary
- 30 days of paid vacation
- a flextime schedule to accommodate the needs of caretakers
- time to work on open source projects
- personal support to deepen your knowledge in topics that you feel are close to you
- chance and suuport to attend and speak at international conferences
- a flat organization with little process standing in your way
- regular company events to meet your team members
- an international, communicative and supportive team
- flexible work environment (either on-site in Munich or remote)
- paid office space for remote engineers in a co-working space or office of your choice
- the latest MacBook Pro (or the previous one if you don't want the TouchBar) plus an external 4K display
If you're interested to learn more about us or apply to this position, send us a message to [email protected]. We're looking forward to a link to your Github account if you have one or any other samples of your previous work.